Enter your keyword

The Bellambi Station Upgrade is being delivered as part of the Transport Access Program, a NSW Government initiative to provide a better experience for public transport customers by delivering accessible, modern, secure and integrated transport infrastructure.

The station improvements will ultimately improve access at the station for the community, including people with a disability, carers with prams, older persons, children, students, and commuters.

Project Information

Degnan will be working on these elements of the upgrade:

  • construction of a new station building further along the platform which will include accessible amenities
  • demolishing the old platform building to achieve compliant platform widths and access paths
  • upgrading existing lighting to increase security
  • a new station entry ramp
  • two new accessible parking spaces
  • a formal kiss and ride zone
  • regrading footpaths
  • a new bike shelter and hoops

Details of the all the upgrades planned can be viewed at www.transport.nsw.gov.au/bellambi  

 

  • Trains operated in the Bellambi area well before a station was built. Several short horse and steam powered tramways were built in this area to carry goods from local mines/collieries to the seaside to be loaded onto boats at Bellambi Point.
    One of these lines was built in 1861 by Taylor and Walker to carry coal between their South Bulli mine and a jetty at Bellambi Point (henceforth referred to as the South Bulli line). It was originally a horse tramway, but was later closed then reopened as a steam railway.
  • In 1887, the South Coast line opened between Clifton and Wollongong and crossed the South Bulli line. The crossing point became known as Bellambi.
    It is unknown exactly when the station at Bellambi opened, but it first appeared in the timetable on 1st January 1889. At this point, it was a single platform located just south of the crossing between the two lines.
  • On 17th January 1902, a triangular connection was built between the two lines, allowing trains from the South Bulli line to access the South Coast line and Wollongong Harbour.
  • On 25th September 1913 the line was doubled north of Bellambi, converting the side platform to an island platform,  to allow for the increasing traffic on the line.
    The line to the south was doubled in 27th May 1923.

NEWS ITEMS: