Degnan Cadetship Program
Pathway to a Career in Construction with Degnan
When you join Degnan as Cadet, you will be mentored by and learn from an abundance of knowledge held by our Engineering and Construction professionals. You will work on projects that are out of the ordinary, testing your abilities and challenging your every day.
To suitable candidates, we offer a 2-year learning and development program that will arm you with the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in the construction industry. You will meet and be mentored by experts in construction, providing you with the skills and knowledge essential for your development and growth.
With over 40 years of experience, Degnan is a leader in delivering challenging infrastructure; our reputation speaks volumes, and many of our clients are repeat clients returning because of our approach to customer service and the collaborative ways we deliver projects. We focus strongly on our people and their development; we consider our people our strength.
Your cadetship path is your path. We will support and develop the path with you,
ensuring the best outcome for the you.
Your Cadetship with Degnan is the pathway for careers in:
- Project Management
- Construction Management
- Project Engineering
- Contracts Administration
- Site Management
- Design Management
- Environmental Engineer
- Sustainability Engineer
- Construction Quality Engineer
- Systems Engineering and Safety Assurance
- Digital Engineering
- Construction Safety
- Communications and Marketing
- Building or Construction related qualification
- Degree or Diploma in Project Management
- Degree or Diploma in Construction Management
- Degree in Engineering
- Degree in Environmental Engineering / Environmental Science
- Tertiary Qualification in Sustainability
Your experience under our pathway:
- Your cadetship will be customised to suit your interests, strengths, and future aspirations. You will learn and understand by getting involved on the job, in the day-to-day operations, conversations and task allocations.
- You will be supported through every step and mentored to ensure successes and goals are achieved.
- During your time, you will develop an understanding of all elements essential in successfully delivering challenging and rewarding projects, with a clear picture of your future pathway.
- You will integrate your tertiary learnings with time spent on projects, putting into action all your hard-earned knowledge.
As a part of our Cadet program, you will be placed on a rotation in various areas of the business. An example of a typical rotation is shown below:
1. Six months on one or multiple sites as an onsite engineering resource.
- Construction activities
- Quality control
- Construction detailing
- Setting out
- Safety requirements
- Environmental requirements
2. Six months in the estimating department.
- Document control
- Tender packaging
- Quantity and material take offs
- Rates applications
- Subcontractor engagement
3. Twelve months as part of a project team through various phases (design, planning, construction, testing and commissioning).
- Document preparation and management
- Activities planning
- Works scheduling
- Data gathering for reporting
Rotation is adjustable to suit your preferred career pathway. At three month intervals a review will take place to monitor progress, obtain feedback and gauge experience.
Upon completing your rotation, your manager will discuss and review your rotation with you. This review will highlight strengths and weaknesses and be an opportunity to discuss improvements if required to help determine your best pathway.
Personal attributes required:
- A strong work ethic
- Ability to work within a team
- Initiative and willingness to learn
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to take direction
- Time management skills
- Based on your application, we will assess your suitability
- We will contact you for a face-to-face discussion with our leaders
- We will want to hear about your career goals and past milestones to achieve these.
- We will want to hear about your current studies, your aspirations, and achievements.
- If you are successful, we will take the next step to formally offering you a Cadetship and an employment contract.